When will I stop making the same mistake?! Over and over again I do the same thing, and over and over again I get angry and/or hurt. As a Christian mother, I must STOP talking to people about my deepest concerns and decisions and START going to God FIRST!
It baffles me that I would even bother sharing so much with people, in particular with people who have little to no experience in the matter. My heart tells me that new mothers are often guilty of this because we are experiencing so much at lightening speed, and we care so deeply. We don't want to mess this Mommy gig up! Our child's life and well-being greatly depend on decisions mothers have to make, yet we must wake up, smell the roses and realize that God ordained you with the job of mothering your child; He didn't give that job to your neighbor, or your friend, or your co-worker. He gave the job to YOU!
Listen, I am not saying that we should do this Mommy thing alone. Quite the contrary! There is someone you need to go to for guidance, reassurance and counsel . . . our Heavenly Father! Think about it. When you are at work and are faced with a challenge of large proportions and great consequences, you go to your boss - the man or woman who assigned you the job. Well, God gave us this Mommy job, so who better to assist us on this awesome journey than God Almighty Himself?
Man will let you down almost every time. People are not experiencing life the same way as you. They don't have the same children as you (Heck, some of the people dishing out the most "advice" don't even have children! Sorry Oprah!). Half the time those people you are reaching out to have enough of their own issues they are grappling with. So let me leave you with five scriptures, and may they bring you solace knowing that our Father is with us through it all and He is waiting for you to ask for help!
- Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it will be given to you seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
- Matthew 21:22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”
- Psalm 66:19 But God has surely listened and has heard my prayer.
- Romans 8:26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us.